damnheavenly brought a authentic dish of bhapa llish. This recipe has been adopted from Bangladesh. In this recipe raw llish/Hilsha pieces are steamed in mustard along with turmeric, green chili, salt, mustard oil. This is an effortless cooking. Just we need to marinate the fish and steam it. No need to stir or add something in between cooking. Hilsha Or Ilish is the most popular and tasty fish in Bengal. This fish is very aromatic itself. So we do not need much ingredient or a difficult recipe for this fish. Bhapa Ilish is a very popular dish in Bengal. Authentic Bhapa llish by damnheavenly,
- 500 g Ilish machh (hilsa fish, 3-cm-thick pieces)
- 4 Tsp Mustard seeds/sorse soaked in a lukewarm water
- 2 Tbsp Poppy seed/postu
- 8 pcs Green chillies
- 50 g Coconut (peeled)
- 40 g Yoghurt (beaten)
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 Tbsp Mustard oil
Preparation for Bhapa Llish-
- Soak the mustard seeds
- Cut the fish into 3cm wide pieces.
- Make a fine paste of coconut poppy seed and mustard seed.
- Beat yoghurt, sugar, turmeric and mustard oil.
METHOD for Bhapa Llish-
- Soak mustard seeds in lukewarm water.
- Clean the ilish mach hand cut it in 3-cm thick slices. Ilish bhaape is best made with thick slices of fish. Fish without roe (eggs) is fattier and, therefore, ideal for this recipe. If your fish has eggs, remove them, as they may not cook fully when steamed.
- Add poppy seeds, coconut and mustard seeds in a mixer grinder or ‘silnora’ or ‘shil batta’ grind it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer this paste to a stainless steel box. Add beaten yoghurt, sugar, turmeric, and mustard oil. Mix until the oil is fully incorporated.
- Now add the fish, one piece at a time, and coat it with the spices. Use your hands to make sure every part of the fish, including its cavities, is well coated.
- Slit four more green chilies and place them on the ilish pieces.
- Tighten the lid of your stainless steel box (you could also seal the top with thick aluminum foil) and set the fish aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat up your pan and place a stand at the bottom. Pour hot water, making sure it doesn’t reach up to more than half the height of your stainless steel box, or there’s a danger of water seeping in. Once the water has come to a boil, place the stainless steel box on the stand. Cover the pan and steam on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and allow it to rest for another 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot with steamed rice.
ANOTHER METHODS YOU MAY USE TO COOK-
- Using pressure cooker- Add 5 cups of water and place the stainless steel box inside it and then pressure cook in a pressure cooker on medium flame for 2-3 whistles.
- Using microwave oven-Take a microwave safe deep vessel and put the container containing fish and then add 5 cup of water and cook it in high temperature for 5min and at medium temperature for 25min.
*Each serving contains approximately the above table nutritional value
Myself Gourav chatterjee
I done my graduation from Institute of Hotel Management and completed my MBA from GPTDC Hospitality pvt. Limited. I worked in devyani international limited as manager and now im persuing my training from ITC panchwati kolkata. Im also a food blogger and the love for food from my side is never ending. I want to explore each and every cuisine in the world.